Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Quick Note on the Guatemalan Mail System...

I just thought I would quickly post a comment thanking all of you who have sent letters and packages my way. I know in this technologically driven world it is incredibly easy to shoot off an e-mail or call. As always any sort of communication is greatly appreciated but receiving letters, packages, pictures, newspaper clippings, any tangible memento via mail is very special to me and reminds me of life back home.

For those of you that have sent or are planning to send something, I thought I would post a few suggestions as some volunteers (me included) have noticed things missing from their packages. I will be able to receive packages for the next two years from the address that I first posted and it usually takes about two weeks to arrive. It is possible that I will have a mailbox in my site that I where I will be able to receive letters which is exciting because I am not sure how often I will be able to make it to the Peace Corps Office. I will keep everyone updated on that. As far as sending stuff goes, there are a few tips people have mentioned that are worth a try to protect “the goods.” Some have suggested the following: putting religious stamps or stickers of the front of packages, tightly taping a box inside a box strategy, removing tags from all clothes and/or items, and declaring things as used or homemade.

Again any sort of communication is greatly appreciated and thank you all for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers!
¡Que le vaya bien!

No comments:

Post a Comment